Code of Conduct.
Stream PDX is dedicated to providing a harassment-free meetup experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, age or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of members in any form. Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any meetup venue, including talks. Meetup participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the meetup at the discretion of the meetup organizers.
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Verbal comments that reinforce social structures of domination related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, age, or religion
- Sexual images in public spaces
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Inappropriate physical contact
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person's lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of 'dead' or rejected names.
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like "*hug*" or "*backrub*") without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Deliberate "outing" of any aspect of a person's identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse
- Publication of non-harassing private communication
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behaviour
Stream PDX prioritizes marginalized people's safety over privileged people's comfort. The Stream PDX team reserves the right not to act on complaints regarding:
- 'Reverse' -isms, including 'reverse racism,' 'reverse sexism,' and 'cisphobia'
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as "leave me alone," "go away," or "I'm not discussing this with you."
- Communicating in a 'tone' you don't find congenial
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. If a participant engages in harassing behaviour, event organisers retain the right to take any actions to keep the event a welcoming environment for all participants. This includes warning the offender or expulsion from the meetup.
Event organisers may take action to redress anything designed to, or with the clear impact of, disrupting the event or making the environment hostile for any participants.
We expect participants to follow these rules at all event venues and event-related social activities. We think people should follow these rules outside event activities too!
This code of conduct applies to Stream PDX spaces, but if you are being harassed by a member of Stream PDX outside our spaces, we still want to know about it. We will take all good-faith reports of harassment by Stream PDX members seriously. This includes harassment outside our spaces and harassment that took place at any point in time. The Stream PDX team reserves the right to exclude people from Stream PDX based on their past behavior, including behavior outside Stream PDX spaces and behavior towards people who are not in Stream PDX.
In order to protect volunteers from abuse and burnout, we reserve the right to reject any report we believe to have been made in bad faith. Reports intended to silence legitimate criticism may be deleted without response.
We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we've received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them, if we believe that doing so will increase the safety of Stream PDX members or the general public. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
If someone makes you or anyone else feel unsafe or unwelcome, please report it as soon as possible. Harassment and other code of conduct violations reduce the value of our event for everyone. We want you to be happy at our event. People like you make our event a better place.
You can make a report either personally or anonymously.
You can make an anonymous report here. We can't follow up an anonymous report with you directly, but we will fully investigate it and take whatever action is necessary to prevent a recurrence.
You can make a personal report by:
- Calling or messaging this phone number: 503-567-8642. This phone number will be continuously monitored for the duration of the event.
- Emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org, we monitor this email address during events.
- Contacting a staff member, identified by STAFF badges, buttons, or shirts.
When taking a personal report, our staff will ensure you are safe and cannot be overheard. They may involve other event staff to ensure your report is managed properly. Once safe, we'll ask you to tell us about what happened. This can be upsetting, but we'll handle it as respectfully as possible, and you can bring someone to support you. You won't be asked to confront anyone and we won't tell anyone who you are.
Our team will be happy to help you contact venue security, local law enforcement, local support services, provide escorts, or otherwise assist you to feel safe for the duration of the event. We value your attendance.
Portland PD non-emergency: 503-823-3333
Call to Safety: 888-235-5333
Radio Cab: 503-227-1212